Application procedure for the Canada visa

Application procedure for the Canada visa

The eTA is intended for a stay in Canada of up to 6 months. The eTA Canada can be used for a holiday, a business trip, a transfer or to take part in a short course, study or exchange programme. In other cases, a visa or special permit is required. Travellers who do not meet the requirements of the eTA - for example those whose nationality does not qualify for an eTA (countries to which Canada has not granted a visa waiver) - must also apply for a visa. This is not possible on this website, but only on the website of the Canadian government, at a visa office or at a Visa Application Centre (VAC).

Embassies in the UK do not process visa applications

For many countries, you can apply for a physical visa or a study or work permit at the embassy. However, the Canadian embassy in London does not deal with visa applications. They provide consular services to Canadians in the UK, but not to British nationals who want to travel to Canada. Therefore, applications for visas and permits are not processed by the embassy in London.

The immigration service has outsourced part of its work to private companies, also known as Visa Application Centres (VAC). These companies, located around the world, have formal contracts with the Canadian government and are authorised to take biometric data and forward visa applications and passports to a visa office. These Visa Application Centres can make use of a Canadian Immigration Service back-office to assist travellers with any questions or problems they may have with their Canada visa or permit application.

Canadian Visa Offices

While the eTA Canada can be applied for entirely online, a visa application may require a personal visit to a visa office. Many physical visas, study or work permits require biometric data such as fingerprints and passport photographs. The visa office in London processes applications from residents of the United Kingdom, and the office in Paris processes applications from France, Spain and Switzerland. Visa applications from residents of Germany and Austria are processed by the Visa Office at the Canadian Embassy in Vienna.

Visa Application Centre (VAC)

However, British citizens around the world do not have to travel all the way to the visa office in London to submit biometric data. In many European countries, there are Visa Application Centres run by private agencies, which send the data to a visa office on behalf of the Canadian government. The Visa Application Centre has no influence on the outcome of visa applications. All applications are eventually processed by the Canadian Immigration Service. The Canadian VAC in the Netherlands - VFS Global - is located in The Hague. There are also VACs in, among others, Düsseldorf, Berlin, London, Dublin, Paris, Rome, Madrid and Vienna.

eTA Canada faster, easier and cheaper

It is recommended that you first check if you are eligible for an eTA Canada. The eTA is much easier and faster to apply for than a visa or permit for Canada. The eTA can be applied for entirely online with the digital application form on this website. There is no need to go to a counter in person to hand in your passport or to have biometric data taken.

Applications are usually approved within three days, emergency applications as fast as 18 minutes on average. Visa applications take much longer to process. Depending on the country of residence, it can take weeks or even months before you receive the visa. Moreover, the cost of the eTA of £29,95 is considerably lower than the cost of a visa. While the exact cost depends on the type of visa or permit you need, prices for visas start at 100 Canadian dollars.

Submit an eTA application

eTA also suitable for business or studying in Canada

In most cases, it is not necessary to apply for a visa when travelling to Canada. The eTA Canada is not only suitable for holidays, but also for business trips or short study programmes in Canada. If you will not be employed by an organization in Canada and will not be doing any physical work, you usually do not need a visa or work permit, but only an eTA. You likewise do not need a study permit for a study programme or exchange lasting less than six months; an eTA is usually sufficient. By submitting an eTA application, you save yourself a visit to a visa office or VAC and you save yourself long waiting times and high costs.