Extend eTA

Can I renew an eTA or use it more than once?

The eTA Canada allows you to stay in Canada for up to 6 months per trip. After these six months, you must leave the country. However, an eTA is valid for five years, so you can use your eTA for multiple trips, and you do not need to apply for a new one each time. Are you already in Canada and want to stay longer than 6 months? This is possible with the visitor record.

Renewing the eTA?

You do not need to apply for a new eTA for each trip to Canada. It is possible to make several trips to Canada within the five-year validity period. However, you should check that the eTA you want to travel with is still valid. An eTA is valid for 5 years, but the validity of your eTA may expire earlier. For example, if you have applied for a new passport, your passport has expired, or you no longer meet the requirements of the eTA Canada, it is not possible to extend an eTA. Once your eTa has expired, you must apply for a new one.. You can, however, extend your stay in Canada.

Multiple trips to Canada with an eTA

In theory, after 6 months in Canada, you could leave the country for a short period and then return to stay for another 6 months. However, this may cause suspicion on the part of the Canadian immigration authorities. Leaving the country for a short period of time is not intended to circumvent the 6-month maximum stay. Travellers who wish to visit Canada for more than 6 months must apply for a Canada visa instead of an eTA. In case of suspicious use of an eTA, the Canadian authorities may impose an entry ban on travellers. This means that a traveller, despite having a valid eTA, cannot travel to Canada. Future eTA applications may also be denied.

No need to change your details

If you wish to travel to Canada again using your eTA, you do not need to notify the Canadian authorities of any changes in your details. It does not matter if you applied for the eTA last time for a business trip or a transfer and this time you are going to Canada for a holiday (or vice versa). Even if your address has changed, this is no problem. The eTA remains valid as long as you still live in the same country and hold the same passport.

Apply for a visitor record

If you are in Canada and want to stay longer than 6 months, you may want to apply for a visitor record. The visitor record is a separate document that can be issued by officers of the Border Services in Canada. It can only be issued when you are in Canada. It can be applied for upon your first arrival in Canada, but can also be applied for throughout your stay in Canada, which is normally up to 6 months. Please note that an application must be made at least 30 days before the end of your current authorized stay in Canada. The document will then show a new final departure date from Canada. The visitor record is not a visa and cannot be used for entry into Canada. An eTA or visa is always required to enter Canada. Therefore, always check in time if you have a valid eTA.

You can therefore extend your stay in Canada. Please note that a visitor record does not meet the visa requirement for Canada. This means that you must always have a valid eTA or visa if you plan to leave the country for a short time and then return. Has the validity of your eTA expired, but your visitor record is still valid? Then you must still apply for a new eTA to enter Canada.

The visitor record to extend your stay in Canada can be applied for online. An online application is processed faster and the status of the application can be easily tracked online. It is important that you fill in all your details correctly.