eTA children

Do children also need an eTA Canada?

Every traveller, regardless of age, needs an eTA Canada. This means that babies, and children under 18 must also have a valid passport and eTA Canada. This page tells you how to apply for an eTA for your child and what other documents may be required.

Passport required

You cannot apply for an eTA without a valid passport. Both adults and children therefore need a valid passport of their own to apply for an eTA Canada. Having your child added to your passport has not been possible since 26 June 2012.

The eTA is an electronic travel authorisation that is automatically linked to the applicant's passport. All passport details must therefore be entered 100% correctly in the online application form. The passport used for the application must be the same as the passport used for travel and this passport must be valid throughout your entire stay in Canada. If your passport expires, your eTA Canada also expires, and you must apply for a new travel authorisation. This also applies to travellers of all ages.

eTA specifically for children?

There is no specific eTA specifically for children. Everyone, regardless of age, applies for the same eTA. There are also no special rules or exceptions for children. An eTA Canada is valid for a total of 5 years and can be used for an unlimited number of trips to Canada. Each trip may last a maximum of 6 months. You will also need a valid eTA.

It is possible to apply for the eTA per traveller, but you can also do a group application, where you apply for an eTA for several travellers at the same time using the same form. This makes it very easy to apply for an eTA Canada for the whole family at the same time.

Travelling without both parents or guardians

In Canada, anyone under the age of 18 is considered a minor. This means that, in principle, all travellers under 18 must travel with their parents or guardians. A child can travel alone or with only one parent, but must meet all the conditions below. This is because Canada has very strict rules regarding travelling with a child. If a child does not travel with both parents (or guardian(s) or person(s) with legal authority) and does not have the proper documents with them, the child might not be allowed to enter Canada.

Besides a valid eTA Canada and a passport, a minor traveller must possess other documents in some cases. A minor travelling alone, or with only one parent or guardian, or with an adult, who is not a parent or guardian, must always be able to show a letter of consent at customs. This letter of consent must always be in English or French and must include the address and telephone number of the parent or guardian not travelling with them. It is also necessary to bring a passport scan of that parent or guardian. If neither parent / guardian is travelling with the child, the letter must contain both the details of both parents/ guardians and the details of the adult who will care for the child in Canada.

A copy of the birth certificate and/or a copy of the guardianship documents may also be requested, so it is important to always bring those as well.